The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church for information about accessing this collection.
The beautiful grounds and peacefully shaded cemeteries date back to the mid-1600s.
Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church in the Southwark section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was founded in 1790 and discontinued in 1938.
This collection consists largely of vital records: membership records (1873-1893, 1873-1918, 1908-1926, 1904-1938), marriage records (1833-1874, 1871-1893, 1893-1918, 1918-1926, 1927-1938), and baptism records (1826-1871, 1871-1893, 1893-1918, 1918-1926, 1927-1938).
There is also a Quarterly Conference Record dating from 1835 to 1867; one book from 1903 to 1904 consisting of burial records from both Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church in Southwark and Ebenezer Church in Havertown, who shared a burial ground (in 1904, the remainder of the grounds were sold; remains, as well as a few small monuments and tombstones, were removed to Arlington Cemetery, Delaware County); and various other documents.